Monday, April 9, 2012

Time-Saving Recipe

Friends,

Time-saving recipes are another thing that I really enjoy finding and trying. Life is busy, but family meals are important to me. If I can save time making a meal, there is more time to enjoy it as a family!

 Here's one of my favorite "fix-it-and-forget it" recipes! If you like south-western flavors, I think you'll like this! (Warning: If you don't like spicy foods, this one has a bit of a kick from the fire-roasted tomatoes).


Tex-Mex Chicken

4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 packets taco seasoning
1 can (8 oz) green chilies *
1 can (15 oz) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, not drained
1 can (15 oz) mexicorn or canned corn, drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained **
1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained **
1 can (15 oz) red beans, rinsed and drained **

* I left out the chilies and it tasted great!
** This seemed like a lot of beans, so I just picked two

1. Layer ingredients in a crock pot in the order given. Empty one packet of
taco seasoning directly onto the chicken and add the second packet
after all the remaining ingredients have been added.
2. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
3. Stir, shredding chicken as you mix ingredients.
4. Serve over rice or in tortillas (we prefer tortillas).

Instant hit - we loved it the first time I made it!
You can serve it with sour cream, salsa, etc.

This easily makes enough for 6-8 people. (We usually only eat 1/3 of it in a meal.)
* Sweetheart loves eating the leftovers with tortilla chips, too.

Once you try it, I'd love to hear what you thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment