Monday, April 2, 2012

Avoiding a crisis

Those who really know me know that I REALLY don't like moments of crisis that are preventable... those little annoyances that cause last-minute hiccups to my day. I especially don't like things that require last-minute runs to the store because I just ran out of something that I NEED (toothpaste, deodorant, dish soap, etc). So, a few months ago, I started doing something a little different. Over a few grocery shopping trips, I stocked 1 extra of everything (from contact solution to dish soap and dishwashing gloves). Now, when I run out of something, I get the unopened one from its home and WRITE IT ON MY LIST!!! Then, next shopping trip, I purchase the new one of whatever and NO MORE CRISIS over cosmetics!

Personally, I don't look at stocking one extra of things like toothpaste, deodorant, dish soap, etc as "hoarding," I look at it as "crisis prevention" and I'm a lot calmer now because I'm not stressing about making something "stretch" until next shopping trip!

Bonus note: I also stock an extra toothbrush (or two) and a few disposable razors for unexpected overnight guests (we've had them when major power outages knocked out power). I always want to be ready to welcome guests, even when they aren't prepared to be guests!

2 comments:

  1. You are quite the organizer...I'm loving it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb,

    I'm just sharing things that I've found work for me... if someone else can benefit from it, that's great! I just really don't like scrambling to get both little ones ready for an emergency run to wal-mart, kroger, etc just because I was a poor planner! :) It's not fun, they're not happy, I'm stressed... it's just not a pretty picture!

    This way, I eliminate a lot of those "crisis runs" and I like that!

    ReplyDelete