Saturday, March 24, 2012

An idea for dessert

My family enjoys desserts, but with just 2 adults and 2 toddlers, I often hesitate to make an entire recipe because it takes a while to eat it all, and we've lost interest in it before it's gone. Well, I had an idea the last time my princess asked for "birthday cake" (it wasn't her birthday, but she wanted cake). So, the next grocery shopping trip, I allowed her to pick out a cake mix and I grabbed a complimentary icing.

When we got home, I mixed up the cake, but rather than using a regular 9x13 cake pan, I grabbed my layer cake pans and used those. I then only iced HALF the cake, and after the second layer had cooled, placed it in a gallon-size freezer bag and FROZE it.

The half I iced was the perfect size for my little family. We enjoyed it for 2-3 days, then we were able to "take a break" and I thawed the second one and iced it a week and a half later for us to enjoy.

I LOVED this idea and think I'm going to use it often in the future. This way, I can have several flavors "waiting in the wings" for an emergency dessert.

There would be plenty of dessert for 4-6 adults in a single layer serving.

Just a way to make a sweet treat last a little longer!

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment